RE: Elements output as XML with HTML output method

These are excellent questions, and I don't have any ready answers!

I will raise an issue (issue 164) against the 2.0 spec, which means it will
come up for discussion in the WG, and when we have decided what to do about
it in 2.0, that will provide guidance if we feel the urge to issue a
clarification for 1.0.

For the time being, I would say that there are many aspects of serialization
where the spec leaves the details to the implementor, and this is one of
them.

Michael Kay