Re: Proposal for suspending page numbering

Response to:
Comment 27 (public comment): lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xsl-editors/2002OctDec/0059.html

Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 21:26:44 -0500 (EST)
From: "Gupta, Deepak" <Deepak.Gupta@schwab.com>
To: "'xsl-editors@w3.org'" <xsl-editors@w3.org>
Cc: "'gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com'" <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Subject: Proposal for suspending page numbering

At Fri, 15 Nov 2002 21:26:44 -0500 (EST), Deepak Gupta wrote:

>I believe there is a need for functionality to temporarily suspend the FO
>page counter, so that a book can be generated with chapter title pages that
>do not have a page number.
>
>I suggest the following syntax :-
>
> <fo:page-sequence master-name="title" page-count="suspend">
>
><fo:page-sequence master-name="section" page-count="resume">

It might make sense to have a property that suspends page
counting on an fo:page-sequence, but there are enough edge
cases and issues to address that we don't think this is
something for XSL 1.1.  (For example, if the middle of three
page sequences has suspended page counting and there are
an odd number of pages generated for this page sequence,
you cannot number the first page of the third sequence
one more than the last page of the first sequence without
affecting page parity.)

We will re-evaluate the need for this for XSL 2.0 (but note
that there is currently no schedule for an XSL 2.0).

Paul Grosso
for XSL FO Subgroup