Re: Correct type for XSLT stylesheets

* Chris Lilley wrote:
>> If Microsoft Internet Explorer does not
>> accept them as MIME types for XSLT sheets, thats a bug.
>
>Accepting them is one thing, making a decision about whether a stylesheet
>language is supported or not is another and cannot be done on the basis of
>such limited information as text/xml

XSLT 1.0 says in section 1:

  "The MIME media types text/xml and application/xml [RFC2376] should be
  used for XSLT stylesheets. It is possible that a media type will be
  registered specifically for XSLT stylesheets; if and when it is, that
  media type may also be used." [1]

The xml-stylesheet recommendation [2] provides no other means than the
MIME type to define the used style sheet language. The implementation is
broken, if the recommended and only possible (i.e. conforming) method of
using a special facility isn't supported.

I wonder, why the XSL WG thought, text/xml carries enough information to
recognize XSLT sheets.

>> RFC 3023
>> mentions application/xslt+xml in the examples section (8.17), but that
>> MIME type isn't currently registered.
>
>So, it is up to the XSL WG to register the MIME type that they want to use,
>put that in the spec, and then have implementors issue the appropriate dot
>releases.

Yes, excactly.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#section-Introduction
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-stylesheet/