Re: quote: in XSLT steps on URI scheme registry

Dan Connolly wrote:

> "A namespace URI is quoted by prefixing it with the string quote:"
> -- http://www.w3.org/1999/08/WD-xslt-19990813#literal-result-element
>
> Huh? how can you tell whether
>         xmlns:qxsl="quote:http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0"
> is a quoted namespace URI or just a URI using a new quote:
> URI scheme?

XSLT would assume it was always a quoted namespace URI.  To output
elements using a new "quote:" URI scheme you would have to (XSLT) quote
it:

   xmlns:q="quote:quote:whatever-the-syntax-of-the-quote-scheme-is"

If I then did

  <q:foo/>

in my XSLT stylesheet, I would get in the output

  <q:foo xmlns:q="quote:whatever-the-syntax-of-the-quote-scheme-is"/>

> You'd have to reserve the quote: scheme in
> the IETF URI scheme registry.

I don't think that's necessary.

> c.f.
>         http://www.w3.org/Addressing/schemes#Registration
> ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/url-schemes
>
> And I doubt they'd grant it to you. I'll certainly advise
> them not to!
>
> There are a few HTTP header fields defined (sort of) in the
> HTML 4.0 spec, and I catch hell for that all the time. As
> one of the people on the W3C/IETF fence, I can't afford for
> this sort of thing to happen. I consider this an
> absolute must-fix.

Would you consider the explanation above a sufficient fix?

> I suggest a solution ala
>
> Re: Namespace and quote
> James Clark (jjc@jclark.com)
> Sun, 29 Aug 1999 17:31:51 +0700
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xsl-wg/1999Aug/0095.html
> [member confidential, sorry]
>
> except that in stead of mapping the prefixes:
>         <xsl:map-namespace-uri from="qxsl" to="xsl"/>
>
> you should assert a relationsihp between the URIs:
>
> (using psuedo xlink/RDF syntax...)
>
>         <xsl:quotes subject="http://anything-the-user-wants"
>                 object="http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform">

The idea of map-namespace-uri was to assert a relationship between URIs;
it just used a prefix as a placeholder for the URI to avoid requiring
the user to enter a potentially long URI twice; there will typically be
a namespace declaration for the subject URI.  This is consistent with
what XSLT does in other places (eg  the extension-element-prefixes
attribute).

James