Re: XSL-FO: Using an SGML parser to validate an XSL document

The DTD was not intended for use in validation, but rather to reflect the
general orgainzation of the FO-tree.

There are a number of violations of the XML syntax for DTDs. In addition,
it does not reflect where a property may be specified, rather it describes
where a property is used/consumed. This also means it cant be used for
validation.

There has been significant confusion over the use of the DTD-like
description in this manner, we will most-likely remove it from the next
draft and seek another method for describing this information.

---Stephen Deach

At 08:30 1999-06-22 GMT, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Sorry to bother you, but you are listed as the editor on the xsl page on
>www.w3.org and I am having a difficult time trying to validate an XSL
>document.  I took the DTD fragments from http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl/ and
>http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-xslt-19990421, pasted them together into a file
>I called stylesheet.dtd, put in the doctype declaration into my file, and
>tried to validate the document with sp version 1.3.
>
>Here are some of the errors I found (if you want I can send you log file):
>
>fo:block is defined like this:
>
><!ELEMENT fo:block (
>  fo:first-line-marker?,
>    (
>      #PCDATA
>    | %inlines;
>    | %block-level;
>    )+
>  )
>>

>But that is not valid, since #PCDATA must be the first element in a mixed
>content model. (rule 51 in section 3.2.2 of the XML specification).
>
>Then the fo:table-header, fo:table-footer, and fo:table-body are defined as
>a group (which is not allowed in XML).
>
>Am I missunderstanding the DTD and the error messages I get?
>
>    Jeffrey M\kern-.05em\raise.5ex\hbox{\b c}\kern-.05emArthur
>    a.k.a. Jeffrey McArthur          ATLIS Publishing Services
>    http://members.home.net/jeffmcarthur/

-------
  Stephen Deach                            |  Sr Computer Scientist
  408-536-6521 (office)                    |  Adobe Systems Inc.
  408-537-4214 (fax)                       |  Mail Stop E15-420
  sdeach@adobe.com                         |  345 Park Ave
-------