Re: fo:flow and inheritence

At 10:29 1999-05-18 -0700, you wrote:

>I think we have an issue with ambiguity in inheritance in the XSL
>specification with regards to the fo:flow.  Consider the following
>example:
>
><fo:region-before font-size='8pt'/>
>
><fo:region-body font-size='10pt'>
><fo:flow flow-name='region-before'>
><fo:block>What font size do I get?</fo:block>
></fo:flow>
></fo:region-body>
>
>I would contend that the text that is placed in the 'region-before'
>should get a font-size property of '8pt' even though the containment is
>within the 'region-body'.
>
>If this is correct, the draft needs to be clarified in terms of
>inheritance and flows.

  The FO-DTD defines:
    <!ELEMENT fo:region-after EMPTY>
    <!ELEMENT fo:region-before EMPTY>
    <!ELEMENT fo:region-start EMPTY>
    <!ELEMENT fo:region-end EMPTY>
    <!ELEMENT fo:region-body EMPTY>

  so your example is illegal:
    <fo:region-body font-size='10pt'>
      <fo:flow flow-name='region-before'>   <-- fo:flow can't go here. -->
      </fo:flow>
    </fo:region-body>

>In addition, I do not see a definition of what the "implicit names" are
>for the regions that are defined.  In the above I guessed that they would
>be the flow object names.

I'll look into this. We had intended to definitively state the
region-naming convention, but when we removed the "future use of flow-map"
discussion, that part may too have been pulled.

alex@milowski.com
>               Remember: Stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

-------
  Stephen Deach                            |  Sr Computer Scientist
  408-536-6521 (office)                    |  Adobe Systems Inc.
  408-537-4214 (fax)                       |  Mail Stop E15-420
  sdeach@adobe.com                         |  345 Park Ave
-------