Re: XProc execution model

Thanks Erik for your response.

I know, I didn't bring it up with 3.0 in mind. I think it could be
something for an extension attribute at least though.

But more importantly I'm interested in understanding the reasoning behind
the current approach. Because like I said for me the behavior that I
described is more intuitive for a pipeline language.

I do realize that in real pipelines not everything is pure, that is why I
suggested to have an attribute to control it. Note that I'm not suggesting
to make "true" the default value of the attribute (although to me that
would actually make more sense).

Also note that the spec already encourages you to use real connections if
possible to influence the order in which steps are executed (see the
section "Sequential steps, parallelism, and side-effects"), even though
since the first version the "depends" attribute has been added. In the same
way I think you could encourage the use of real connections when possible
to ensure certain steps with side effects are included in the execution.

For me the added value is really clear. Refer to the use case that I
described earlier (where you have a step that can do many things but what
it actually does depends on the connected outputs). Just try to imagine
what an enormous hassle it would be to achieve this without the proposed
feature: the user of the step would have to specify with options which
outputs he is interested in, and based on that info the step itself would
have to "manually" make certain parts conditional. IMO that is not how a
declarative language is supposed to work.

Bert