Re: xpath-version attribute

Hi Erik,
interesting question. Some random thoughts (mostly no answers!):

- As you said: XPath 3.1 is default because XProc 3.0 will rely on maps and the constructs and functions for maps require XPath 3.1.

- There will be no support for XPath 1.0 any more. All options/variables are typed now,  so using @xpath-version="1.0" should lead to an error. In XProc 1.0 we had XD0027 for this case, in XProc 3.0 I think it will be an error in the processors interface.

> I assume the only version an XProc 3 processor is required to support is 3.1. Supporting another (any other) version is implementation defined and therefore not mandatory.

- Some pipeline may actually run with XPath 3.0 (if no maps are used) and even XPath 2.0 (not sure because of the context explained in 2.7 XPathXPath in XProc), so it may be possible for a processor to support those earlier versions. But: I am not sure whether there is any use case for this, so I would expect most processors to end up with an error, when "2.0" or "3.0" is requested.

- But what about XPath 3.5 or 4.0, whenever this version will appear? Suggestions?

Greetings from Germany,
Achim

Achim Berndzen