Re: File utilities on exproc.org

On 24 March 2013 19:37, Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex wrote:

> A use case: I want to make sure that a directory is empty
> before I extract a zip to it (creating the directory if
> necessary).  So I’m deleting the directory before extraction,
> and I don’t want to be bothered by an error if the directory
> doesn’t exist.  Try/catching this would feel too verbose,
> although I admit that other errors, such as insufficient
> privilieges, could be cought.

  I think that's precisely my point.  If you want to ignore a
precise error, because you know that it makes sense in your case
to ignore THAT error, then catch that error.  If something else
happens, it will resolve to a proper error as it should do.

  If you ask to ignore the error and get a c:error instead then
you have to use conditional structures, which are even more
verbose... (is it a c:error document?, is it an error document
for an expected error?, etc.)

  But it is true that I usually pay more attention than others to
having proper error detection and handling.  So it might just be
me.

Florent Georges
http://fgeorges.org/
http://h2oconsulting.be/