RE: Proposed steps: pxp:gunzip and pxp:gzip

Zip and probably other formats allow selecting a compression level. Is
there real difference between archive and compress if you select
uncompressed?

About guessing format: I'd suggest allow the developer to specify a
mime-type, and allow implementations to guess the mime-type in any way
they feel appropriate. There are still quite a number of systems that use
extensions to do so, most importantly: MarkLogic.. ;-)

Cheers