Re: Embedded Calabash?

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Florent Georges <fgeorges@fgeorges.org> wrote:
> On 30 November 2012 12:38, Ichiro Furusato wrote:
[...]
>> For my application certainly caching would be nice (there's over 40
>> steps) but knowing the difficulties in serialising Saxon stylesheets
>> I think that if there were any stability or leak issues we'd prefer
>> to take the performance hit.
>
> What I call caching here has nothing to do with serialization.  It
> has to do with reusing the Java object representing the compiled
> pipeline.  With Saxon for instance, for XSLT and XQuery, you can just
> compile once and keep a reference to an XsltExecutable object (or for
> XQuery an XQueryExecutable object), and get out of it an object
> XsltTransformer (resp. XQueryEvaluator) for each actual transformation
> (resp. query) using it.

Yes, understood. I'm referring to a recent thread on the Saxon mailing
list where I seem to remember Michael Kay discussing the fact that
Saxon isn't able to serialize certain XSLT stylesheets due to various
serialization weaknesses in the JDK itself. I've been poring over the
archives but I can't seem to locate the specific messages.

> The problem is that you can't do that with Calabash's XPipeline,
> which is both the compiled pipeline and its dynamic environment for
> execution.  See http://xproc.markmail.org/thread/dhftopkqt6peofcm for
> more details.

Perhaps it would be possible to separate out the portions to
serialize to only include the former and exclude the latter? That
would probably require a code redesign but I'd personally be
happy with just the pipeline itself since the environment for
this project is pretty stable.

But I'm speaking far beyond my knowledge of Calabash as I've
only been digging around in it for about a week now, a bit of a
lull before the actual project starts.

Ichiro

There are 1 kind of people in the world.
Those who number from 0, and those who do not.