Re: Embedded Calabash?

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Florent Georges <fgeorges@fgeorges.org> wrote:
> On 29 November 2012 09:34, Ichiro Furusato wrote:
[...]
>   I used Calabash in several Java project.  You can for instance see
> how I use it in Servlex, a Java Web application itself:
>
>     http://code.google.com/p/servlex/source/browse/trunk/servlex/src/java/org/expath/servlex/components/XProcPipeline.java
>
>   The biggest constraint I think to use Calabash on a server, is that
> the compiled pipeline cannot be reused, so it cannot be cached
> (compiled once and reused many times).  If I remember correctly that
> is explained in some comment in the above file.

For my application certainly caching would be nice (there's over
40 steps) but knowing the difficulties in serialising Saxon stylesheets
I think that if there were any stability or leak issues we'd prefer to
take the performance hit. But then again the pipeline doesn't get
called that frequently, whereas I can imagine in some applications
you might be calling the pipeline almost continually, so caching might
be more important.

>   You can have a look at QuiXProc as well, it might solve that
> problem: http://code.google.com/p/quixproc/.

I think for our project the decision has already been made to use
Calabash, and QuiXProc's GPL license would probably prohibit
our use of it (I think we'd need an Apache, Mozilla, or similar license).

But thanks very much for pointing me to it as I wasn't aware of it,
and it does provide a good example of Calabash in use, which will
be helpful. An interesting project!

I've just managed to get my driver class to work so I'll probably
stick with it for now...

Thanks very much,

Ichiro