RE: Query for particular use case

Lewis,

Just to be sure, when you say that: "I see that there seems to be no existing implementation for running a custom program within the XML pipeline either in the standard XProc steps, the EXProc proposals, the Calabash Extension steps..." - are you aware of the standard p:exec step? This step is in the XProc specification exactly to allow running custom programs from within XProc pipelines.

For a more robust (flexible/efficient/easier to use/...) integration with external tools, the best practice often is to create extension steps - an example are the zip/unzip EXProc steps, but you can create your own if you want. The exact mechanics of how this is done depend on the particular XProc processor.

Extension steps provide a reasonable balance between flexibility and tight coupling to specific programs. Because of the separation between the step declaration and its actual implementation, changing the implementation or even switching to a completely new one is often possible without affecting the pipeline.

Regards,
Vojtech

--
Vojtech Toman