Re: why the output requirements on viewport?

In addition, p:for-each has the ability to dig recursively into the XML,
which might make it even more useful for that purpose.

Say you have this input XML:
<doc>
</doc>

If you use p:viewport to match "div" elements, you wouldn't match the C
element since it's wrapped inside another div element. With a p:for-each
however, you would (unless you explicitly do something like
select="//div[not(ancestor::div)]").

Still, I agree that empty outputs should be allowed on p:viewport, which as
you say would behave like p:delete.

Regards
Jostein