From: Murray Altheim [mailto:murray11@altheim.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:16 PM
To: xproc-dev@w3.org
Subject: Re: Sending e-mails from a pipeline...

On 16/11/11 06:22, Norman Walsh wrote:
> Alex Milowski<alex@milowski.org>  writes:
>>
>> We should consider a step definition for SMTP.
>
> It's tempting to try to make something simple. The simple cases seem
> to be covered by
>
>    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-klyne-message-rfc822-xml-03

> Though that's clearly been stalled for, uh, 9 years.
>
> The problem with the less simple cases is handling all of the MIME
> encoding/disposition/id/boundary/etc. malarkey.
>
> We have machinery for (at least some of) MIME, in p:http-request, but
> that seems to set the bar pretty high for the simple case.

Hi Norm,

Perhaps we're making this more complicated than it really needs be.
What are the requirements here, really? If it's simply being able
to send a text message from a pipeline for purposes of alerting an
admin of something that has happened during processing, such as an
error or a successful action. An ASCII-only email would be fine for
that. If we were to reduce the scope to solely a to and from address,
a subject line, and an ASCII (well, possibly UTF-8) message body,
then that seems fairly manageable.

I for one would be quite happy with that, and it would be a welcome
addition to our project. Certainly hits the 80/20, maybe the 90/10
point for emails coming from a pipeline. If an attachments facility
were added that would cover the remaining 20, but even without that
(for our purposes) the minimal would suffice. I wouldn't want rocket
science.

Murray

Murray Altheim <murray11 at altheim dot com>                       = =  ===
http://www.altheim.com/murray/                                     ===  ===
SGML Grease Monkey, Banjo Player, Wantanabe Zen Monk               = =  ===

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record