From: Zearin [mailto:zearin@gonk.net]
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:43 PM
To: Dev XProc
Subject: XML Patterns on GitHub

So, there’s this site.  It’s called http://www.xmlpatterns.com.

I think it has freakin’ awesome content.  Some of it is a little dated (using DTDs to illustrate snippets of XML grammar in examples; good lord I want to convert those to Relax-NG), but the ideas are still totally relevant.  And I personally think they’re extremely useful!

…

There’s just one problem with it.  It’s written in HTML 4.0.  Yes, you read correctly—a site about XML isn’t even written in XHTML!

And not just any HTML 4.0.  Really nasty HTML 4.0…the kind that makes you feel dirty, just for looking at the source.

So, I decided to convert it to DocBook.

…

I got permission from the site’s author (Toivo Lainevool) to put it on GitHub <https://github.com/Zearin/XML-Patterns> .  I have already done the heavy lifting of DocBook conversion already.  Now, I could really use some help ironing out all the wrinkles.

Please take a look <https://github.com/Zearin/XML-Patterns> !

Even if you don’t want to help, I have a sample XHTML build of the document on GitHub as well so you can check out the nifty content.  But if you do decide to help, you get bonus points.  ☺

(Especially with the task of auto-linking body text to other sections!  I know it’s possible to do with XSL or XProc, but I don’t know how to code it.)

…

Thanks!

—Zearin (Tony)