Re: Can a pipeline 'call' itself?

Reguarding performance, I would expect most *single*  xproc steps to
perform slightly better then the equivalent xquery or xslt step,
but don't count on it.   Often 'under the hood' its doing the same
thing.  An xproc processor may (and likely does) actually use xquery or
xslt under the hood to do many of its steps.

Now when you 'pipeline' commands there's a definite difference and its
implementation specific, don't trust the 'rule of thumb', actually test
it if performance is critical.
In Calabash (last time I looked) each step recreated the output tree in
full.  ( Not serialized or parsed, but a copy of the output tree is
created in memory).
I would expect a multi-step xproc pipeline vs an equivalent multi-step
xquery or xslt, in calabash, the xquery or xslt would win.

But again, don't generalize, test it with your specific processor, and
then only if performance is an issue and you have performance problems.

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org