Re: Handling Configuration File Parameters -- Historical Unrefined Approach Just for Discussion

Hi,

Well here are the pieces created thus far to use placeholders rather than
parameters. I'll want to create a more dynamic process than what is here but
will be working on other priorities because it works well enough for now.

1. xproc-Template.xpl Xproc template with placeholders between 3 tilda's
~~~endingFileNumber~~~ which might look like this in the attributes:

A problem with the approach are that the template become littered with error
messages such as at the href=" attributes which are not expecting ~~~
placeholders so I'll have to work on an instance and then update the
template.

2. Configuration file which includes a placeholderRegex which is used to
configure the process to identify placeholders allowing for different
placeholders in the xproc template attribute and uses groupings to organize

<configuration placeholderRegex="~~~([^~]*?)~~~">

  <group name="InputOutputFolders" doc="'source and output folder
variables'"
    type="TemplateParameters">
    <param name="XSLT-source-folder" value="'../../Source/2009/'"/>
    <param name="source-folder" value="'../../../Source/2009/'"/>
    <param name="output-folder" value="'../../../Output/2009/'"/>
    <param name="completed-folder" value="'Completed/'"/>
    <param name="error-folder" value="'Error/'"/>
    <param name="exception-folder" value="'Exception/'"/>
    <param name="XSLTDirectory" value="../../XSLT/"/>
  </group>

</configuration>

3. ConvertXprocTemplateToExecutionFile.xsl which takes the template and
configuration files as input and replaces any placeholders within the
document to create a running instance. BTW our template reads in multiple
files and has a starting and ending file number to dictate which files to
process from the directory as follows:

      select="//c:file[position() ge number($startingFileNumber) and
position() le number($endingFileNumber)]"/>

The following XSL creates a working xproc instance.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
version="2.0">
    <xsl:param name="ConfigFile"
select="'../ProcessConfigurations/ConfigMaster.xml'"/>
    <xsl:output indent="yes" method="xml"/>
    <xsl:param name="startingFileNumber" select="1"/>
    <xsl:param name="endingFileNumber" select="2"/>

    <xsl:template match="*">
        <xsl:copy>
        </xsl:copy>
    </xsl:template>

    <!-- replace any attribute value text that matches placeholderRegex -->
    <xsl:template match="@*">
        <xsl:variable name="value" select="."/>
        <xsl:variable name="name" select="name(.)"/>

        <xsl:choose>
            <xsl:when test="$value = '~~~startingFileNumber~~~'">
                <xsl:attribute name="{$name}" select="$startingFileNumber"/>
            </xsl:when>
            <xsl:when test="$value = '~~~endingFileNumber~~~'">
                <xsl:attribute name="{$name}" select="$endingFileNumber"/>
            </xsl:when>
            <xsl:otherwise>
                <xsl:variable name="PlaceHolderReplacement">
                    <xsl:analyze-string select="."

regex="{doc($ConfigFile)/configuration/@placeholderRegex}">
                        <xsl:matching-substring>
                            <xsl:variable name="placeHolderName">
                                <xsl:value-of select="regex-group(1)"/>
                            </xsl:variable>
                            <xsl:value-of
                                select="doc($ConfigFile)//param[@name =
$placeHolderName]/@value"/>
                        </xsl:matching-substring>
                        <xsl:non-matching-substring>
                            <xsl:value-of select="."/>
                        </xsl:non-matching-substring>
                    </xsl:analyze-string>
                </xsl:variable>

                <xsl:attribute name="{$name}"
select="$PlaceHolderReplacement"/>

            </xsl:otherwise>
        </xsl:choose>
    </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

4. Main.xpl

I ended up doing a bit of a strange work around for the memory
consumption/leak issue regarding multiple file input and output.
http://code.google.com/p/xmlcalabash/issues/detail?id=94 by creating an
instance to run 10 files at a time with 256MB JVM. I'll at some point create
a java app to create the list of <instance> configurations and batch files
dynamically based on directory contents if the memory issue continues to be
a problem but for now we just want to run a thousand files with 3 xproc
instances, 10 files processed per instance at the same time simply using 3
batch files.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
http://www.w3.org/ns/xproc-step"
   xmlns:cx="http://xmlcalabash.com/ns/extensions" name="Main">

Process</p:documentation>

         <main>
            <instance startingFileNumber="1" endingFileNumber="9" name="1"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="10" endingFileNumber="19"
name="2"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="20" endingFileNumber="29"
name="3"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="30" endingFileNumber="39"
name="4"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="40" endingFileNumber="49"
name="5"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="50" endingFileNumber="59"
name="6"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="60" endingFileNumber="69"
name="7"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="70" endingFileNumber="79"
name="8"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="80" endingFileNumber="89"
name="9"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="90" endingFileNumber="100"
name="10"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="101" endingFileNumber="109"
name="11"/>

            <instance startingFileNumber="870" endingFileNumber="879"
name="88"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="880" endingFileNumber="889"
name="89"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="890" endingFileNumber="900"
name="90"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="901" endingFileNumber="909"
name="91"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="910" endingFileNumber="919"
name="92"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="920" endingFileNumber="929"
name="93"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="930" endingFileNumber="939"
name="94"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="940" endingFileNumber="949"
name="95"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="950" endingFileNumber="959"
name="96"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="960" endingFileNumber="969"
name="97"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="970" endingFileNumber="979"
name="98"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="980" endingFileNumber="989"
name="99"/>
            <instance startingFileNumber="990" endingFileNumber="1000"
name="100"/>
         </main>

select="instance/@startingFileNumber"/>
select="instance/@endingFileNumber"/>

      <cx:message>
            select="concat('-----------------------', 'startingFileNumber',
$startingFileNumber, '  endingFileNumber: ',
$endingFileNumber,'-----------------------------')"
         />
      </cx:message>

      <cx:message>
ConvertXprocTemplateToExecutionFile'"/>
      </cx:message>

select="$startingFileNumber"/>

$fileName, $name, '.xpl' )">

      <cx:message>
      </cx:message>

5. Three RunProcess.bat files which run ~33 instances each or 333 files. 10
files at time.

start /wait run-calabash.bat createi4EnrichInstance1.xpl
start /wait run-calabash.bat createi4EnrichInstance2.xpl
start /wait run-calabash.bat createi4EnrichInstance3.xpl
start /wait run-calabash.bat createi4EnrichInstance4.xpl
exit

6. BeginProcess.bat runs the whole process in this case three batch run at
the same time.

start /wait run-calabash.bat ..\ExecutionManager\Main.xpl
start RunProcess1.bat
start RunProcess2.bat
start RunProcess3.bat
exit