Re: Some hints on the basics

Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com> writes:

> 1. Can I (how would I) call out to another pipeline (maybe in another
> XProc instance?) whose input would be my source document and whose
> results would be input to a new transformation?

If the transformation is known in advance, you just declare that pipeline
and then use it:

      ...whatever it does goes here...

    ...whatever setup you want to do...

    <my:subpipe>

If you need the *pipeline* to vary, then you're off in extension
territory for XProc V1.0. XML Calabash supports an eval step that
will do it.

> 2. How do I calculate the name of a secondary input document from
> that of a primary input? (I gather I can just do
> "replace(base-uri(),'dir1/','dir2/')" or the like, but where and how?)

Probably in p:load:

> 3. How do I combine these, to run a transformation that takes as its inputs:
>    a. the results of my primary source file run through my
> subordinate pipeline;
>    b. the results of a secondary source (whose name is either
> parameterized for my XProc engine or derived from the name of my
> primary source) through the same subordinate pipeline.

Does what I showed above help?

> Any illustrations or mockups, however sketchy, would be very welcome.

I've recently documented a couple of more complex pipelines

  http://norman.walsh.name/2010/04/13/flickrWithXProc
  http://norman.walsh.name/2010/03/18/rng2dtd

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | 'I have done that,' says my memory. 'I
http://nwalsh.com/            | cannot have done that'--says my pride,