Re: Detecting unbound options

mozer <xmlizer@gmail.com> writes:
> Are you suggesting that we eventually end up needing a construct to
> test if a variable is bounded ?

No. After more thought, I'm suggesting that the concept of unbound
options is a mistake. As a (SIGNIFICANT) convenience to users, and
consistent with languages like XSLT, I think an option with no binding
should get a default value.

Since we've decided that variables and parameters must be strings
in XProc 1.0, I propose the empty string as that default value.

Effectively "" becomes the default default for options.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | He who fails to become a giant need not
http://nwalsh.com/            | remain content with being a