Re: with-option and other XPath Expressions - Prevent streaming from being possible (??)

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 12:37 PM, David A. Lee <dlee@calldei.com> wrote:
> This puts an entirely different interpretation on the spec then I have in my
> mind.
> To my reading, this behaviour implies that the select= option of a
> with-option
> not only has access to and reads from the default input port,
> but must execute within the same context as the step while the step runs !

one moment, I didnt validate *what* you were saying .... or commenting
on if this xproc even runs ... it seemed like you were more asking a
question about submitting a test case.

> There's nothing in the spec that says this.  Should it ?
> Thats a very different interpretation then I had.
> Reading the spec I interpret to mean like this
>
> For every with-option
>  execute the select= expression
>  gather the result

in section 5.7.3 p:with-option it says;

'All in-scope bindings for the step instance itself are present in the
Processor XPath Context as variable bindings, so select expressions
may refer to any option or variable bound in those in-scope bindings
by variable reference. If a variable reference uses a QName that is
not the name of an in-scope binding or preceding sibling option, an
XPath evaluation error will occur.

If a select expression is used but no document binding is provided,
the implicit binding is to the default readable port. It is a static
error (err:XS0032) if no document binding is provided and the default
readable port is undefined. It is a dynamic error (err:XD0008) if a
document sequence is specified in the binding for a p:with-option. In
an XPath 1.0 implementation, if p:empty is given as the document
binding, an empty document node is used as the context node. In an
XPath 2.0 implementation, the context item is undefined.'

is a clear definition to me.

Jim Fuller