[Fwd: RE: Issue #12 closed]

should have been copied to xmlp-comments not w3c-archive.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Issue #12 closed
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:02:55 -0800
From: "Larry Masinter" <LMM@acm.org>
To: "'Christopher Ferris'" <chris.ferris@sun.com>
CC: <w3c-archive@w3.org>

I'm sorry for not replying sooner.

While the "Note:" is fine as it stands, I thought that the
Apache configuration for 500 error rewriting was merely
an example of the kind of problem one might encounter,
rather than the entire scope (although it's the only
one that I've documented). I remember hearing about other
kinds of "helpful" proxy servers that would also rewrite
error messages, but I could not find online documentation
for them when discussing this with the W3C XML protocol
group.

So I would prefer a more generic warning:

   Note: There may be elements in the HTTP infrastructure
   configured to modify HTTP response entity bodies for
   4xx and 5xx status code responses; for example, some
   existing HTTP origin servers have such a feature as
   a configuration option. This behavior may interfere with

and that the 'recommendation' be turned into a warning,
since it may or may not be possible for the person deploying
SOAP services at a site to 'turn off' such behavior.

                            If the rewriting behavior
   cannot be turned off, SOAP/HTTP cannot be used in
   such configurations.

Perhaps instead of "Note:" it should be "Warning:".