Re: XMLP WG Issue 314 Resolution

Martin,

Many thanks for the detailed responses re issue 314 and 316. At first
glance, I've no further questions, and am happy with the resolution. The
Question-and-Answer section at the end was particularly illuminating.
I'm dashing to the airport now. Another time, I'll try to respond to the
Q'n'A on xml-dist-app. Briefly, I'm interested (and relieved) to hear
that the encoding rules are so unconstraining w.r.t. mix and match
between namespaces. That's a very useful feature (though I expect it'll
trip up some traditional RPC-oriented implementations).

thanks again,

Dan

Martin Gudgin wrote:
> Dan,
>
> You made several comments on the SOAP 1.2 Last Call WD[1,2] which were
> recording as Issue 314[3] in the XMLP WG Last Call Issues List[4].
> During a recent face-to-face meeting the Working Group closed the issue
> with the following comments:
>
> 1.	The XMLP WG will not define a mechanism for assigning URIs to
> graph edges. For the purposes of SOAP Data Model and Encoding, QNames
> are sufficient.
>
> 2.	The XMLP WG will not specify an algorithm for generating URIs
> from QNames. We note that the RDFCore WG have previously considered a
> similar issue[5]. We also note that the TAG are considering this
> issue[6]
>
> 3.	The XMLP WG will remove the ID property from nodes. It's
> presence was an oversight on behalf of this editor. IDs are only needed
> at serialization time and hence only need to appear in the encoding not
> in the data model. We also note that the navigation model for the SOAP
> Data Model is one of traversal rather than one based on node identity.
>
> This end the resolution of Issue 314[3]. I hope this clarifies the
> issues you raised. If you are unsatisfied with the resolution please let
> the XML Protocol WG know as soon as possible.
>
> Regarding other questions you raise in Issue 314[3]
>
> You asked:
>
> Q1: What is the relationship between node types and edge label types in
> SOAP encoding?
>
> A1: Not defined.
>
> Q2: Can they be mixed freely?
>
> A2: Yes
>
> Q3: Can I use node types defined (somehow...) by one application, with
> instances of that node using edge
> labels drawn in multiple other schemas?
>
> A3: Yes
>
> Q4: Are there any rules constraining the sensible combinations of node
> and edge types.
>
> A4: No
>
> Q5: Specifically, does the type of a node determine the edges that be
> attached to it?
>
> A5: No
>
> Q6: Does each kind of edge label have node types that they can point to
> and from?
>
> A6: No
>
> Note that the answers to the above are based on my own understanding of
> your questions and how the SOAP data model works. I should note that I'm
> not ENTIRELY sure I understand what you mean by 'node type'. You could
> mean:
>
> a) The type property of the node
>
> b) Whether the node is a generic, struct or array
>
> c) Something else I've not though of

I meant (a), ie types from the application domain (eg 'Book', 'Flight' etc).