RE: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-daigle-uri-std-00.txt

John Cowan wrote,
> Miles Sabin wrote:
> > But why should the URI-to-resouce binding be any more
> > constant than the resource-to-entity body relationship?
>
> What is the reason for flexibility?

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question. The entity/
resource distinction is sort of useful because it allows for
the very same resource to persist across changes of its
constituent bits. But those very same bits can simultaneously
constitute lots of different resources (a transient page of
HTML; a persistent but changing page of HTML; todays weather
report, whatever), so at the very least a URI can be ambiguous
and shift it's reference between those resources depending on
the context.

But then the entity/resouce distinction is also misleading,
because it suggests that we've just got two layers: a changing
bit layer, and a static resource layer. That just doesn't
strike me as particularly plausible. In much the same way as
a changing bunch of bits can constitute an HTML page, a
changing HTML page can constitute todays weather report. I'm
happy(ish) to retain the term 'entity' to pick out the bottom
of the stack, but I can't see any particular reason why the
stack shouldn't go on up indefinitely.

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                       Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect        5/6 Glenthorne Mews