Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-daigle-uri-std-00.txt

At 10:21 AM 9/7/00 -0400, Michael Mealling wrote:
>Resource: any abstract concept which is identified by a URI
>URI:      a unique string that is bound in a 1:1 relationship with a Resource

So to repeat an earlier question:
>If I describe the namespace URI "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml", am I
>describing the entity body (a resource, I think) stored at that address?
>Am I describing a 'namespace', something which exists purely in the
>abstract?  Am I describing (as I think would be intended) XHTML itself?
>We've had very different answers on xml-uri, and I'm not convinced that the
>flaws are on the XML side of the equation.

What is the 'abstract concept' behind the URI http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml?

Is the URI really bound in a '1:1 relationship' with it?

I think there's something seriously wrong here - it may have to do with the
way URIs are being (ab)used, but I suspect it's a much deeper problem with
URIs.

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML