Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-daigle-uri-std-00.txt

At 08:31 07/09/00 -0400, Michael Mealling wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 08:10:37AM -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> > >  I assume that for your applications you need some further constrained
> > >definition of what a Resource is. That's fine. But are you suggesting
> > >that your definitions be applied to other applications as well?
> >
> > I'm suggesting that the URI community stop hiding behind 'a resource is
> > anything you can identify' and start talking about what resources are.
>
>Why? A lot of us in other application arenas are perfectly happy with that
>definition and would prefer to keep it that way. Anything more constraining
>starts to put unnecessary controls on what someone can do with a URI
>and thats something we very explicitly _don't_ want to do.

I'm not sure which of you I'm agreeing with here...

I'm quite happy with resources being a flexible, extensible concept.  I'm
also happy with the name of a resource being a URI.  I understand, and I'm
comfortable with the fact that the entity body associated with the resource
may change from time to time; and that two distinct resources may, in fact,
have the same associated entity body.

What I'm not happy with is that there is no widespread agreement on how I
tell whether two URIs name the same resource or not.

--
Cheers,
John