RE: an XML-URI Activity Proposal for discussion

At 04:19 PM 7/14/00 +0100, Miles Sabin wrote:
>Simon St.Laurent wrote,
>> I don't like the prospect of a Working Group being set up to
>> address complex and controversial questions while already
>> knowing the answers already prepared by the Director and
>> Staff, who don't seem likely to remain neutral.  They
>> certainly haven't been neutral on this list, and the History
>> section of the draft, for instance, is clearly written from
>> the Director's perspective.
>
>One possibility ... rather than a completely new Activity, why
>not restart the Web Characterization Activity to take this on?
>At least some of the issues we've been chewing over previously
>fell within their remit.

I don't think switching the tasks from one activity to another is likely to
make any significant difference.  It's not the name of the activity, it's
the level of independence it gets to do its work.

I'd rather see this group focused on URI usage within an XML context, if
possible, because that seems to be where most of the problems lie.

Simon St.Laurent