Re: Namespaces in XML 1.x test suite contribution

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 18:35:24 +0100
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>, xml-names-editor@w3.org, public-xml-testsuite@w3.org
Richard Tobin writes [nearly 8 years ago!]:

> Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote
>>   I'm pleased to contribute the following test documents to the XML test
>> suite:
>
> Presumably that's not what you really mean.
>
>>   * <xml:foo/>
>
> This document is uncontroversial I think.  The document is well-formed
> but uses a reserved element name, which is unwise.
>
>>   * <xmlns:foo/>
>
> http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-names-19990114-errata#NE05 says:
>
>   The prefix xmlns is used only to declare namespace bindings
>
> (and Namespaces 1.1 says the same).  This should be changed to use "MUST".
>

>>   * <foo xmlns='http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace'/>
>>   * <foo xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2000/xmlns/'/>
>
> NE05 should be changed to add to disallow the use of these namespace
> names as the default namespace.

The last three of these tests were in fact added to the testsuite in
the 2008 releases [1].

I'm in the process of going through all outstanding suggestions for
the Test Suite, and will be doing a new release soon, which will also
include the first test suggested above (as well as a similar one with
an attribute named xml:foo).

ht

[1] http://www.w3.org/XML/Test/#releases
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk