Re: Applying namespaces to unprefixed attribute names

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 07:44:13 -0800
To: "Sean M. Burke" <sburke@cpan.org>
Cc: xml-names-editor@w3.org

On Nov 1, 2005, at 11:17 PM, Sean M. Burke wrote:

> I am confused about a particular aspect of XML namespaces as
> defined in the "Namespaces in XML" document and its errata.
> Namely: I can't find anywhere in the spec (or errata) that
> explicitly explains how to treat unqualified attributes -- i.e.,
> explaining how they get their namespace.

That's because unprefixed attribute names can never be in an XML
namespace.  Element and attribute names are different.  Element names
can be in a namespace in two different ways; by being prefixed, or
unprefixed with a default namespace in effect.  An attribute can be
in a namespace only when prefixed.

That is to say, in

<e1 xmlns="a:c" xmlns:x="d:e"><e2 a1="1"/><x:e3 a2="2"/><e4 x:a3="3"/
 ></e1>

only a3 is in a namespace, neither a1 nor a2 are in any namespace. -Tim