Erratum NE09 needs clarification

From: Mike Amling <mamling@rmcis.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:19:17 +0000
To: "'xml-names-editor@w3.org'" <xml-names-editor@w3.org>

  On your web page "http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-names-19990114-errata", item
NE09  could better clarify how it applies to section 5.2 of web page
"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/".

  NE09 says "The empty string, though it is a legal URI reference, cannot be
used as a namespace name."
  Section 5.2 says "The default namespace can be set to the empty string.
This has the same effect, within the scope of the declaration, of there
being no default namespace."

  I believe your intent in NE09 is to leave xmlns="" legal, and merely to
forbid xmlns:whatever="", and if indeed this is your intent, then I suggest
saying something explicit about the default namespace in NE09.

--Mike Amling
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
RMCis Corporation
Phone: (630) 955-1310 x133