Processor conformance

From: Christopher Chamber <gullit@usa.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:22:41 +0000
To: xml-names-editor@w3.org

Section 8 states:

To conform to this specification, a processor must report violations
of namespace well-formedness, with the exception that it it not
required to check that namespace names are legal IRIs.

I would prefer that processors be required to check at least
syntactical correctness of namespace IRIs. Failing to do so pretty
much eliminates the point of requiring them to be IRIs. One of the
really good ideas of XML has been that well-formedness constraints
must be checked and violations must be reported. I see little reason
to change that here.

If processors are not required to check this, one of two things will happen:

1. No processors will check it, and the constraint that namespace
names be IRIs will be effectively negated.

2. Some processors will check this and some won't. This will cause
interoperability problems.

Both results are bad. It's not that hard to check that a string is a
legal absolute IRI reference.

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm