Re: HTML namespace in Namepsace 1.1 draft.

This is a formal response from the XML Core WG to your comments on the
Namespaces in XML 1.1 last call working draft.

If we haven't heard from you by the end of Monday December 9th, we
will assume for the purposes of our planned CR request that you have
no objection to our resolution.

Commenter email address: davidc@nag.co.uk

> Subject: HTML namespace in Namepsace 1.1 draft.
>
> >  <!-- all elements here are explicitly in the HTML namespace -->
>

> There was justification for this in the original namespace spec as it
> preceded XHTML, and of course there were no real examples of namespace
> use prior to namespaces 1.0 but its use has caused some confusion; for
> example whether this "namesapce" should be used in xslt stylesheets
> producing html.
>
> Is there any reason not to update all these examples to use XHTML and
> the XHTML namespace?
>
> For sound chronological raasons, HTML 4 is not XML and does not use XML
> namespaces, and I see  no real reason why this second version of the
> namespace spec should suggest that it does.

We have updated the examples to use the XHTML namespace.

-- Richard Tobin, Namespaces 1.1 editor