[xml-dev] XPointer and XML Schema (fwd)

Wayne Steele scripsit:
From cowan  Mon Jul 15 21:20:51 2002
From: "Wayne Steele" <xmlmaster@hotmail.com>
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 18:19:29 -0700
Subject: [xml-dev] XPointer and XML Schema

Is anyone else concerned about the language in the latest XPointer Last Call
Working Draft that refers to XML Schema?

"If the document has an XML Schema [XMLSchema] PSVI,..."

I know what a PSVI is, and how to get one. What I don't know is what it
means for a document to "have" a PSVI, or how to determine if a document has
one, or which PSVI to use if it has more than one.

Remember that the xsi:schemalocation attribute is a "hint". There may be
other hints, I may have my own ideas about what XML Schema is appropriate,
or there may be no hints but a common understanding of what XML Schema I
should use (perhaps in the software of some vendors).

If XPointer is going to depend on XML Schema, it should do so in a
well-specified way.

I can think of several ways to fix this:
   1. Drop XMLSchema entirely from XPointer
   2. Add an XMLSchema(...) XPointer Scheme
   3. Make the schemalocation hint manditory to provide, and manditory to
dereference for Schema-Loading, WRT XPointer.

I'm worried that instead we will get
   4. Do nothing, and hope it works itself out.
since XPointer is on the Fast-Track to Rec.

-Wayne Steele