RE: Namespaces 1.1 Last Call -- I18N WG comments

At 23:27 02/11/29 +0000, Richard Tobin wrote:
> > >   http://www.example.org/wine
> > >   http://www.example.org/Wine
> >
> > It would be preferable to use the same examples as below, eg:
> >
> >     http://www.example.org/ros$Bi
(B >     http://www.example.org/ros$BI
(B
>I disagree; I think it is better to show the case difference without
>confounding it with the issue of non-ascii characters.  And I don't
>want *all* the examples to be IRIs that are not also URIs, especially
>since we're advising people not to use non-URIs yet.

I think this is a valid point. However, in order to make sure
that the various issues are really separated, I suggest the
following:

1) The example http://www.example.org/wine / http://www.example.org/Wine
    gets changed into something like
    http://www.example.org/wine / http://www.Example.org/wine
    On many servers, it's absolutely clear that the former two
    are two different resources, and therefore better be two
    different namespaces. However, for the later two, HTTP
    defines that they always represent the same resource.
    This is the important example where namespaces behave
    differently from resolution. On the other hand, the first
    example, for some people, is about like saying that
    http://www.example.org/wine and http://www.example.org/dine
    are different.

2) To make clear that %-escaping issues are not an IRI-only thing,
    please add an example using ~/%7e/%7E, e.g.
    http://www.example.org/~myuser

Regards,   Martin.