Re: Namespaces and validation -- missing information?

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 15:36:55 -0600
To: keshlam@us.ibm.com
CC: xml-names-editor@w3.org
keshlam@us.ibm.com wrote:
[...]
> The REC says namespaces change the DTD grammer to use qualified (prefixed)
> names. In other words, the DTD is now able to actively say that an element or
> attribute with a specific prefix is expected at a given point in the document.
>
> Architecturally, I presume you don't mean that to be taken literally,

It is to be taken quite literally. no magic.

>but
> instead that the prefix should be read as "an element with any prefix that maps
> into the same namespace as this prefix." That's a serious change to parser
> validation engines, but if it's what you intend, fine.

nope. There's no such change.

[...]

>  If there's a document that does answer
> these questions already available on the web, feel free to point me to it.

The XML home page (http://www.w3.org/XML/) cites these two:

Jan. 19, 1999: XML Namespaces by Example by Tim Bray
http://www.w3.org/XML/#990119bray-ns
-> http://www.xml.com/xml/pub/1999/01/namespaces.html

Feb '99: note on XML Namespaces
http://www.w3.org/XML/#9902clark-ns