Re: namespace for unqualified attributes

At 02:51 PM 6/4/99 -0400, Paul Rabin wrote:

>a) they belong to no namespace (or to an unnamed namespace associated with
>the document), or
>b) they belong to the same namespace as the element in whose start tag they
>occur, or
>c) it is unspecified which of a) or b) is the case.

a) is correct, except that there are no unnamed namespaces.  Why
is this true?  Because, as you note:

>Section 5.2 says:
>	"Note that default namespaces do not apply directly to attributes."
>Section 5.3 says:
>	"... the default namespace does not apply to attribute names."

Both these statements are normative.  If the spec doesn't make it clear
that they are normative, that's a bug.  Your note is on file for any
future revision of XML namespaces.

>If there is other text that bears on this question, I would be most
>grateful if it were brought to my attention.

Several gigabytes (probably exaggerating) of debate in various W3C
bodies on just this exact point.  The intent of the spec is not in
doubt - if the spec doesn't make that intent clear it needs to be
improved. -Tim