From: xml-encryption-request@w3.org
[mailto:xml-encryption-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Rafter
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 11:00 AM
To: xml-encryption@w3.org
Subject: Utilizing XML-Encryption for Attribute Values

I was wondering if anyone could point me to a discussion on why
XML-Encryption was not enabled for attribute values? It seems that the
nature of the addressing mechanism should be easily pluggable using the
DataReference-- or that an alternate mechanism to treat an attribute
value's content as CipherData would be workable.

I assume that the reasoning for not pursuing this was the difficulty in
processing and not a security risk-- but admit to not knowing. I am
currently in an environment where there is a desire to encrypt
individual attribute values within an element. Having the key
information and EncryptedData elements in another section of the
document is a very attractive solution...

Any discussion or links on this would be greatly appreciated as I
haven't been able to pin down any as yet.

Thanks,
Jeff Rafter