Encrypting "enitre XML document"

From: Pae Choi <paechoi@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 00:16:44 -0800
To: <xml-encryption@w3.org>

Under the section,  "1. Instroduction", in the [1]XML Encryption, it
stated as follwos:

    1 Introduction

    <snip/>
    When encrypting arbitrary data (including entire XML documents), the
    EncryptedData element may become the root of a new XML document or
    become a child element in an application-chosen XML document.

I  have a question in encrypting the "entire XML document." Say we
have an XML document as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<PatientInfo>
    <Patient>
    </Patient>
</PatientInfo>

Should we encrypt the entire document literally beginning from the
XMLDecl, "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>", or exclude that.

Regards,

Pae

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlenc-core/