Re: Decryption Transform processing question

r/reagle@w3.org/2002.07.15/15:10:07
>On Monday 15 July 2002 02:43 pm, merlin wrote:
>> I agree that greater detail would aid interoperability; however, I'm
>> not sure how to express the details. How about:
>>
>>   4.3.2 A Decrypt and Replace Implementation (Non-normative)
>>
>>   Where X is the [XPath] node set corresponding to an XML document
>>   and e is an EncryptedData element node in X.
>>
>>      1.  Decrypt e in the context of its parent node as specified in the
>>      Decryption Implementation (section 4.3.1) yielding Y, an [XPath]
>>      node set.
>>      2.  Include Y in place of e and its descendants in X.
>>
>>   The actual implementation of step 2 is outside the scope of this
>>   document; however, the result MUST be equivalent to replacing e with
>>   the octet stream resulting from its decryption in the serialized form
>>   of X and reparsing the document.
>>
>> I'm not so keen on the old 'Z' text because we're specifying
>> a function that has the express purpose of mutating X, not
>> returning a new node set.
>
>That's fine with me, my question then is with respect to this serialization,
>do you care *how* it is serialized? (Is this necessarily Canonical XML?)

C14n isn't necessarily right because it will not output entity
declarations. I was hoping to punt to the serialized form that X was
constructed from; but, of course, there may not have been an original
serialized form.

Actually, that's a problem: Our defined wrapping (emit entity
declarations) cannot be implemented on DOM; DOM does not expose that
information. Is it really necessary? Could we assume/require that
serialized/encrypted XML does not use entity references and strip that
text from the spec? In that case, c14n would be fine, presuming that X
isn't a weird node-set, and life would be easier.

Merlin