Re: Confusing Example in XML encryption spec

On Tuesday 29 January 2002 18:51, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> Seection 2 of the syntax spec includes the following example:
> <EncryptedData Id? Type?>

Elliot, this is what I call "Eastlake BNF" <smile/>. The intent is to
succinctly express the overall structure and optionality of the
EncryptedData instance. We used this in xmldsig (and has appeared in other
specs now...) where it also had a brief description.

> More substantively, I think this whole example is confusing. It is
> not obvious what the question marks stand for (0 or 1 as in DTDs?)
> Some elements are missing their end tags.

The editors' draft [1] now has the typo corrected and the description. I
originally approached this syntax with the same hesitation but folks seem
to like it and we've received few complaints, so hopefully with the
addition of the key it will be more useful.

[1]  http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/Drafts/xmlenc-core/
$Revision: 1.122 $ on $Date: 2002/01/30 16:12:00 $ GMT by $Author: reagle $