RE: Encrypting the IV - again. Was: Re: nonce length

Hi Joseph, I am inclined to agree with your approach. It makes more sense to
use chaining schemes that has already been standardised/scrutinized/vetted.
Perhaps the right way to go about this is to propose encrypting the IV used
with CBC mode to a standards body that deals with cryptography and let them
standardise it (e.g. NIST has been running a series of workshops on modes of
operation for block ciphers http://csrc.nist.gov/encryption/modes/).

XML Encrypt should be flexible enough to allow for any encryption chaining
scheme to be specified. Thus once CBC with IV encryption is standardised by
one of these bodies, it can be used with XML Encrypt.

Cheers

Pieter

computer viruses.
   http://www.baltimore.com