Re: Data replacement

Hi Takeshi,

On Monday 21 January 2002 09:30, Takeshi Imamura wrote:
> What does "data is an 'element' or element 'content'" mean?  To my
> understanding, it means the type of the serialized version of data is
> 'element' or element 'content', but is it right?  If yes, step 5.1:

I argue that data of that type is a sequence of characters matching the BNF
productions [39/43] from the XML 1.0 specification. This would not mean
they have to already be serialized in a particular encoding, as the spec
says, *after* you've identified them as such *then* you "obtain the octets
by serializing".

> If the Type of the encrypted data is 'element' or element 'content', then
> the encryptor MUST be able to return the EncryptedData element to the
> application. ... The encryptor SHOULD be able to replace the unencrypted
> 'element' or 'content' with the EncryptedData element.
>
> means the encryptor replaces only the data that is 'element' or element
> 'content'.  However, it is a little limiting because the application may
> want to have the encryptor replace data that is actually an element but
> is not serialized to octets of type 'element'.  So, I think we should
> relax the limitation by allowing the encryptor to replace data as far as
> it is actually an element.  How do you feel?

In this section, steps 4/5 don't speak of the serliazation of
EncryptData/Key, only of "build the EncryptedType" element. Again, since
we're based on XML 1.0, this would be a set of XML character but this would
not preclude an InfoSet item or DOM or node... Is this your question? Does
this text necessitate the exchange of octets versus a more abstract
representation? I don't think so. I'd argue (1) it doesn't require octets,
(2) it can use XML characters, but (3) doesn't preclude other abstractions
of an element.