Re: Minor comments for Last Call drafts of 20011018

On Monday 07 January 2002 06:43, Takeshi Imamura wrote:
> >Is this because you do not think the scenario is a compelling one, or it
> >isn't merely specified that way yet? Would you be opposed to
> > generalizing this to work for EncryptedKey or EncryptedData? (If we
> > don't support this, what does it mean when someone adds an EncryptedKey
> > to an XML instance that
> >has already been signed?)
>
> Sorry, I don't follow this.  Do you expect the added EncryptedKey element
> is being decrypted if the element is not referenced from an Except
> element? If so, what happen when the element is decrypted?

Sorry, I don't think I was being clear. We have this transform so that we
can validate a signature over a document that has EncryptedData's inserted
both before *and* after a signature. The transform tells us to decrypt the
EncryptedData's except for those that are specified in the Except --
because they were signed in their encrypted form.

My question is, can we imagine any scenarios where a document might have
EncryptedKeys added in a document  both before *and* after a signature.
Would we want the capability to decrypt some but not others for Signature
Validation.

I can imagine two answers this question:
1. There are no such scenarios.
2. Since EncryptedKey's are used for "internal" processing only, (they're a
"ends to a means"; they're not likely to be replacing any native data in
the original source document), they can stay in their Encrypted form
regardless.

What do you think?