Re: Last call comments on XML Encryption specs

On Wednesday 09 January 2002 17:07, John Cowan wrote:
> So I was right in saying that, in the general case, the decrypter must
> be able to transcode from UTF-8 to the entity encoding,
> and a fortiori
> the encrypter must be able to transcode from the entity encoding
> to UTF-8 (unless that has already been done by the XML parser).

Yes, as reflected in:

http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/Drafts/xmlenc-core/Overview.html#sec-Processing

If the document into which the replacement is occuring is not UTF-8, the
decryptor MUST transcode the UTF-8 encoded characters into the target
encoding.

If the data is an 'element' [XML, section 3] or element 'content' [XML,
section 3.1], obtain the octets by serializing the data in UTF-8 as
specified in [XML]. ([NFC] MUST be applied when this involves conversion
from a legacy (i.e. non-Unicode) encoding.)