From: Amir Herzberg [mailto:AMIR@newgenpay.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2001 3:15 AM
To: 'Joseph Ashwood'; Donald Eastlake 3rd; xml-encryption@w3.org
Subject: RE: Early Draft Algorithms Section (also: renaming
HashOfRandomized)

Joe Ashwood said among many other things,

> By specifying things in this way (e.g. 3DES with SHA-1) we immediately
build
> an exponential increase in the parsing design as more authenticity and
> encryption algorithms are added. It would be much better to specify the
two
> seperately, resulting in linear growth. The combinations are not very well
> matched, ...

I agree. I think it is better to avoid defining encryption-with-digest.
Define only plain encryption. If people want also integrity they should use
the HashOfRandomized tag (assuming you all agree to it...).

BTW, I'm all for renaming this tag. I now think my original choice
(HashOfRandomized) is a particularly poor choice. I now propose to replace
it simply by reusing the existing <DigestValue> and <DigestMethod> tags, to
be placed within <CipherText>.

Best regards,
Amir Herzberg
CTO, NewGenPay Inc.

See demo and lectures/overviews/tutorials on crypto-security for mobile,
e-commerce, etc. in http://www.newgenpay.com/mpay/course/course.html