W3C XML Encryption Activity Approved

The XML Encryption Activity has been approved by the W3C. We'll continue
using this list and you can find the WG's Web pages at:
         http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/
There's a lot of holes right now, and there might be bugs, so let me know if
you see any glaring problems.

Now that we're an official acitivity, there's a couple of formalities we
have to ease in to.

1. The W3C Advisory Committee, Team, and Director reviewed the charter,
however WG members should understand and comment on it if approriate.
         http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/01/xmlenc-charter.html
2. If you want to be considered a member of the WG with respect to roles,
contributions, and acknowledgements in the spec and such, you should send me
an email requesting to be added to the Contributor page:
         http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/Participants
and indicated you agree with the Contributor copyright policies, which
basically says that such work will be published under W3C copyright and
license.
         http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/Contributor
3. At certain times in the life of the WG (including now), I'll be asking
for patent disclosures
         http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/01/xmlenc-charter#_IPR
which will be listed at:
         http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/Disclosures

>http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/01/xmlenc-charter#_IPR
>IPR Disclosure
>
>W3C promotes an open working environment. Whenever possible, technical
>decisions should be made unencumbered by intellectual property right
>(IPR) claims. W3C's policy for intellectual property is set out in
>section 1.5 of the W3C Process document.
>
>Members of the XML Encryption Working Group and any other Working Group
>constituted within the XML Encryption Activity are expected to disclose
>any intellectual property they have in this area. Any intellectual
>property essential to implement specifications produced by this Activity
>must be at least available for licensing on a royalty-free basis. At the
>suggestion of the Working Group, and at the discretion of the Director
>of W3C, technologies may be accepted if they are licensed on reasonable,
>non-discriminatory terms.
>
>Members disclose patent and other IPR claims by sending email to the
>publicly archived WG list and the archived patent issues list (that is
>readable by W3C Members and the W3C team): patent-issues@w3.org. Members
>must disclose all IPR claims to this mailing list but they may also copy
>other recipients.

__
Joseph Reagle Jr.