RE: Attribute encryption & Blair's message

You are right in that in my phrasing of Blair's recommendation, there is no
need for
attribute encryption because applications will be forced not to use
attributes for
sensitive data.

The difficulty is that some XML system designers find it UNacceptable to be
forced
not to use attributes.

A response, not necessarily Blair's response, to this has been that XML
system
designers can then add in their own transform to convert attributes to
elements and then
use XML Encryption.

My response to that response is "if XML Encryption doesn't allow a plaintext

original to be reconstructed from its ciphertext in a non-proprietary way,
its
usefulness seems very limited to me".  Sure XML Encryption will allow the
post-transform plaintext to be reconstructed but not the actual original
plaintext.
If the WG decides that people will want to put sensitive data in attributes,
and
given that specifying a uniform way of encrypting attributes is possible,
why
not do it?

Ed