RE: Attribute encryption

I think that the mode of application for XML encryption has to be carefully
considered

Mode 1: Promiscuous Encryption
    Application XYZ has defined a DTD or schema and would like to encrypt
random portions thereof while being entirely backwards compatible.

Mode 2: Application leverages XML and XML Encryption
    A new application that has security requirements is proposed, the XYZ
schema is a basis for a new schema that has encrypted components.

I simply do not agree that Mode 1 has any real utility. XML frameworks are
by design flexible. If there is a need for backwards compatibility then XSLT
can be used to paper over any inconsistency. Viz;

Message A is in (old) schema XYX

Parts of message A need to be encrypted:

Message B is in schema XYZ-ENC where
    B = Encryptify ( Transformify ( Message A), slt), key)

The point is that the fact of encryption by necessity means that we are in a
very different namespace, in most cases Message B will not be legal in the
XYZ schema - I can't imagine how this could be possible!

What this comes down to is two cases:

Case 1:
    Message B states that it is in schema XYZ-ENC and asserts that if one
knows how to decryptify and detransform it the result is valid in schema XYZ

Case 2:
    Message B states only that it is in schema PQR which is the standard
schema for the application and incorporates the XML encryption schema. The
node encryption was considered at the time the schema was created.

Attribute encryption is not a requirement IMNSHO because the schema of the
encrypted document must by necessity be some transformation of the original
document.

        Phill