RE: What's in a EncryptedKeys' CipherData?

At 14:23 4/6/2001 -0700, Blair Dillaway wrote:
>Well no.  Either you know the EncryptionMethod for the EncryptedKey
>implicitly
>or else it is provided by the EncryptionMethod element within the
>EncryptedKey element. EncryptionMethod information for an EncryptedData
>isn't relevant.

Yes it is. (I think). If I want to know of what type of data that raw octet
set (when decrypted from within an EncryptedKey is), I have to go elsewhere.

I now realize were my confusion from this and NameKey is coming from.

If I have an EncryptedData that is relying upon and EncryptedKey, consider
the symmetric key secured in that EncryptedKey. That set of octets has some
properties.

(octets)
    --name--> NameKey element of the parent EncryptedKey
    --type--> EncryptionMethod of a referring EncryptedData

The tricky bit is when you look at the proposed structures, some of the
elements/attributes (like KeyInfo) are used to convey information about that
data object (EncryptedData and EncryptedKey) and others are used to convey
information about a resource to which to they relate (but doesn't become
revealed until they are processed.)

__