From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. [mailto:reagle@w3.org]
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2000 4:40 PM
To: Ed Simon
Cc: Public XML Encryption List
Subject: RE: Algorithm Selections

At 17:07 11/15/2000 -0500, Ed Simon wrote:

>The idea is that XML Encryption should support the encryption of arbitrary
>data as well as XML elements and attributes.

Thanks for writing this up Ed, I'll forward it on to SMIL folks and see if
it stirs any interest.

>And here's the SMIL file after the MPEG has been encrypted and stored in
>"secret.enc" (and secret.mpg deleted):
>
><smil>
><video src="secret.mpg" enc:EncryptedDataManifest="./EncryptedDataManifest"

>xmlns:enc="<http://www.example.org/xmlenc>http://www.example.org/xmlenc">
>   <EncryptedDataManifest
> xmlns="<http://www.example.org/xmlenc>http://www.example.org/xmlenc">
>     <EncryptedData Type="video/mpeg" Name="secret.mpg">
>       <DecryptionInfo>...</DecryptionInfo>
>       <CipherText

URI="<http://www.example.com/videos/secret.enc>http://www.example.com/videos
/secret.enc"/>

>     </EncryptedData>
>   </EncryptedDataManifest>
></video>
></smil>
>
>When a SMIL app is processing the <video> element, it detects that there is

>an EncryptedDataManifest attribute pointing to data that needs to be
>decrypted.

This is my concern with saying that we should necessarily specify a
streaming cipher. If your saying a SMIL application finds something from our

namespace and knows to do something, it should really be in their namespace
(your defining behavior for a conforming SVG application) since they need to

figure it out. And if that's the case, they could provide the algorithms
they need as appropriate. (I agree there's a real scenario here that we need

to consider, I'm just not yet sure if it requires streaming over block, and
if stream if it's a dominant scenario such that that we should supply
"out-of-the-box" algorithm identifiers and wraps to meet core interop, but
we should give it more thought..)

__
Joseph Reagle Jr.